Both M/Sgt Morris Sheppard & Pvt Gerald Willen fought with the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment (PIR) as part of the 82nd “All American” Airborne Division.
- HHC = Hq & Hq Co.
- SVS = Service Co.
- Med = Medical detachment
- 1HHC + A, B, C Cos. (all 1st battalion)
- 2HHC + D, E, F Cos. (all 2nd Battalion)
- 3HHC + G, H, I Cos. (all 3rd Battalion)
- The 456PFA Bn. had batteries HHB, A, B, C, D, e.g., 456A
- The 80th AAA Bn. had batteries HHB, A, B, C. D, E, F, e.g., 80AA-B
- Only Co. B, 307th Airborne Engineers was part of the 505th RCT, e.g., 307E
In the Sicily Campaign, they both earned their Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) or Combat Medical Badge (CMB) and Campaign indicating when the badge was first awarded. S-Sicily, I-Italy, N-Normandy, H-Holland, A-Ardennes, R-Rhineland, CE-Central Europe. For example, CMB-H. While Holland was not a separate campaign, it was identifiable as a major battle