Updates to Gerald Willen’s pages

I’ve spent a couple of days uploading some of the additional information that Scott Willen (Gerald’s son) sent me.

In particular there are details from a large newspaper article published on the eve of D-Day’s 50th Anniversary together will a follow-up article from later in the month advising of his death.

There’s also lots of pages from Willen’s PoW logbook which were issued to all PoWs to keep them occupied during the “present unpleasantness”.

I now need to transcribe the PoW diary to add that information onto the site

6 Comments

1. Dennis Mahony
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Is this man the Gerald Willen who taught at Hunter College? In 1978-82, I had an English professor there of that name, one who was reportedly also a painter. If he had been 18 in 1944, he would have been 52-56 in 1978-82, which ages would suit the professor I knew. If my professor was at Normandy and in a PoW camp, I feel considerable chagrin about the friction between us in the classroom… (:

2. Dennis Mahony
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm | Permalink

I have just found the obit here below Prof. Willen’s reminiscence of D-Day. In his memory, I’ll try more to get along with people.

3. colinadmin
    Posted January 21, 2014 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Hi Dennis,
    Thanks for your comments… and yes “your” Professor Willen is, to the best of my knowledge, the same one as taught you

4. Stephanie Willen Brown
    Posted August 8, 2014 at 4:25 am | Permalink

Hi Dennis,

Yes, this is the same Gerald Willen. He was my dad, and he was a painter and a professor at Hunter.

5. colinadmin
    Posted August 8, 2014 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Hi Stephanie,
    Welcome to the site – I hope that you like it; especially the pages about your dad

6. Roberta Lener
    Posted October 26, 2016 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I too was one of Professor Willen’s students..in the early sixties. Most of us in my class were students who worked in the daytime and came to class in the evening…We did not really appreciate the mind-stretching challenges he provided us.
    However, hindsight has given me a appreciation of the work I had to do and the maturity required…I am now 76 and am grateful…Good to know more about him as a person. Thank you.